Skip to content

Leanne and Jarrod

October 31, 2008

Now that you all have learned about how Jarrod and I got engaged, I’m sure many of you are wondering what started this whirlwind romance of just 3 months! Jarrod graduated in May of 2008 with his Master of Sacred Music from Perkins. We overlapped one year at Perkins. We met in October of 2007 when I came to visit Perkins. Renee and Jarrod were friends. We ate lunch together…in a big group. I’d love to tell you it was magical. But that would be lying.

Renee, Jessica and I had a party that November. Jarrod was invited. I almost forgot that he was there until I saw the pictures. He obviously made an incredible impact on me. While he looks incredibly attentive to me in this picture, I obviously did not make any impact on him either.

Fast forward a year or so. I begin seminary. I see Jarrod periodically. He still hangs with Renee most of the time, so we’re friendly. He studies in the library while I study. We rarely talk. But we’re certainly acquaintances. This continues through the 2007-2008 school year.

Fast forward to July of 2008. Renee is getting married. I am feeling like a loser going to her wedding a single gal. Obviously everyone else in the world is paired off and I’m going to look like a lonely moron. Facebook tells me that Jarrod will also be making the trek to OKC for the wedding. Super. Jarrod must be single. I bet he’ll be a good stand-in date! I message him about how he’s working at the church I stayed in with my youth a few summers ago. We strike up conversation about church-work, seminary, movies, and other fun things. By the time we get to OKC I am looking forward to spending some time with Jarrod. He makes me laugh. I am very clear that I do not like him. Can’t like a boy who lives in Slidell when you have 2 more years of school left!

At the wedding he is there playing music. I am there with the bridesmaids. We hang out in a big group after the rehearsal dinner. Everyone has a partner or spouse except he and I. We naturally pair off. We drink and have a great time. We begin text messaging. He is making me smile more and more. The wedding is fun, we eat cake. We don’t dance, heaven forbid. 😉 After the wedding we all hang out again in a hotel room. We order pizza, laugh, tell stories. I’m seriously falling for this music minister who lives in another state. At the end of the evening he and I are the only ones not staying at that hotel. We both need to leave Oklahoma first thing in the morning. We have chemistry and a connection. So of course he hugs me, leaves the party, and gets out of the hotel as fast as possible.

I go back to Renee’s folk’s house wondering what just happened. I thought we had a connection! We continue text messaging. I drive back to Dallas. We continue text messaging. Monday comes and I am deadly sick. I spend most of the day asleep on the couch. We continue text messaging. He calls and we giggle on the phone. Tuesday night I go to dinner with some girls and tell them about him. Already I know he’s special. Wednesday he asks me to a movie that weekend. I have already decided that I need to see him, so I agree. He freaks out momentarily. I decide that Friday morning EARLY I will drive to Slidell. I need to see him and see what is going on between us.

Friday morning I left Frisco at some ungodly hour of the morning and hit the state line before the sun is up. I arrive in Slidell and spend the weekend getting to know Jarrod and having a great time. We went into New Orleans, he played piano for me at his church. It is magical. I left Sunday morning when he left for church. I had a meeting to get back to in Coppell. The next morning I left for a month in Puerto Rico.

While I was in Puerto Rico I bought a ticket to go to New Orleans for Labor Day. I knew immediately that Jarrod was someone I needed to spend as much time with as would be possible. I also decided that I needed to get my MTS and graduate in May. Jarrod and I continue talking on the phone everyday and keeping in touch. We are still getting to know each other, but because we have to rely on the phone, we can do that. It is glorious.

I visited him for Labor Day and it is confirmed that we are meant for each other. We were already talking marriage when I was in Puerto Rico, but after surviving the evacuation, we realize that we are serious. It is fast, it is crazy, we are so in love. It is a struggle living so far apart, but there are no red flags. We are happy. The next time we see each other is in Monroe, where we met in the middle. It was the same distance for me to drive as Jarrod, so we met there and had a relaxing weekend of movies and time together. Things continued to get better.

From there, the rest is history, I suppose. We decided that we will get married after I graduate and want to be engaged before Christmas. I knew his mom had given him her engagement ring when he was in Dallas over Labor Day, so I know it is coming. We couldn’t be happier. Life IS crazy. We know this is fast, but it is awesome. We are very level-headed about the decision. We’ve prayed together, talked about money, discussed future occupations and how that will work, decided we’d like to adopt, talked about our family of origin structures and what our expectations are as far as family, and we’ve found that we are on the same page about just about everything. (Jarrod is allergic to cats and I am “allergic” to whiney dogs…) We continue to tell each other how wonderful our life is going to be together.

We are not delusional. We know it will be hard. But we know we can do it.

3 Comments leave one →
  1. Laurie hr permalink
    October 31, 2008 11:29 pm

    You look so happy!

  2. Lauren permalink
    November 3, 2008 5:56 pm

    Don’t think you are delusional. Sometimes things just fall into place quicker than what is perceived as conventional. Stephen and I said I love you within a week, moved in with each other at 3 months, and were engaged at 6. Almost 4 years later I would never change how it happened. I am so happy you found love.

  3. Jeanene permalink
    November 5, 2008 7:02 pm

    I know I’ve told you numerous times, but I MET (as in laid eyes on him for the first time) Robin on June 4, 1994, we got engaged October 28th and married on March 4, 1995 — 9 months from the day that we met. We’ll celebrate our 14-year wedding anniversary on March 4, 2009. Love you! Can’t WAIT to meet this sweet man in person…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: